Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Paradox of Our Industry In These Tough Times

There is an old song by the Clash that comes to my mind as I swim threw this business buying and selling environment..."should I stay or should I go'" but with slightly different words "should I buy or should I sell."

This song is a classic song about a person who doesn't know what to do and who is totally confused. And this is where our market is right now; albeit we've move a bit farther away from the abyss of total darkest of confusion we were in in February. Now there is a light coming over the horizon, and I hope we're not in Alaska where is stays there for sometime.

There are little trickles of buying activities in all areas of our company. There is certainly increased levels of activity across the spectrum of websites with our advertisers generating plenty of interest and the registration levels at our website are healthy at 130+ per week, not bad for this time of year.

What we need though is more content, and quality content at that. And this is where the confusion starts. The market for new listings will lag the market place's demand for restaurants and businesses driving up multiples for the existing inventory. Seller's with good businesses will start to jump back into the market place as soon as they see transactions are taking place. As I said, we're seeing demand bubbling up right now, and this is traditionally the slower time of year. So perhaps old trends will Clash - I had to say it - with new trends. Let's hope!

We have the best people in the business and the best tools to do deals before every one else starts. So let's make it happen!

Check us out at www.sellingrestaurants.com

No comments: